EDIT: Decided to include information on the conference itself. Click here. There's not much up just yet, besides the schedule and itinerary, but I think over the next couple of weeks there'll be more information on just what's happening with the conference.
Just got this in the mail, and I'm just a bit excited about it. Last year, I wrote-up a research paper on the effect the Unabomber/Ted Kaczynski manifesto had on the press. It's a long story that I can't get into at this exact moment, but the gist of it is, is that the Unabomber held the media hostage with his manifesto, threatening to maim and kill innocent civilians unless the manifesto was printed in its entirety in a paper such as the New York Times or Washington Post. This set up quite the ethical quandary, as one of the major tenets of the journalistic world is that no one tells the press what to print. However, the press couldn't well ignore such a threat – the Unabomber's track record of dozens of people killed or injured by his bombs could bear truth to that.
The Washington Post printed the manifesto and the Unabomber was caught as a result of that, but there was a whole lotta soul-searching and anger in the media over the publication of that piece. My paper examined the prevailing attitudes in the media at that time in history, from newsroom pros to those in academia. All interesting stuff and I'm extremely excited about the opportunity to present it this fall.
Hi,
Pardon the form email, but it is good news: Congratulations! Your submission(s) to the Conference on Media, War and Conflict Resolution has/have been accepted.
The conference registration form is attached.
We are also excited to offer excellent pre-Conference sessions, so please check out that link in the conference web site, too.
If you have any questions, please let me know.
I hope to see you this September!
5 comments:
Hi....congrats! awesome news.
mama
radical.
where is the confrence?
you rule
Congrats Zach!
Congratulations, Zach! That's really cool, and the paper sounds really interesting.
Now, are you going to do it in HA kit? :)
Simon
Congrats, Happy Belated Birthday, and I miss you. Come to Athens and ride (not this weekend because I'll be in ATL)
Post a Comment