Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Winter Training & My Pathetic Life

The worst part about making the early spring races a priority, is that one has to dedicate the worst months of the year, December, January and February, to serious training. And living in Chicago, with its unpredictable weather (often snowy, cold and nasty), that means the lion's share of my training is done indoors. With the exception of the team ride on Sunday, I've spent every single day of February on the bike...indoors. Coupled with my circumstances as a graduate student with a thesis to do, I feel like a gerbil inside a cage. I wake-up, read the paper, etc., work for a bit, get on the bike or go for a run, and maybe walk to the store if I'm low on any staples. I work some more in the afternoon, have dinner, watch some TV, read and go to bed. Every day is nearly the same.

Sometimes there will be a day or two where I won't even go outside – which I find extremely depressing. However, if I have nowhere to go, then what's the point. I do find that I work better if I go for coffee at Metropolis, but lately I've been too lazy to walk the 1/2 mile there. Tomorrow, though, I'm turning over a new leaf – I'll get out of the house, take some work with me, and see the neighborhood, get some fresh (cold) air.

It's a promise.

6 comments:

amyyma said...

i dont think it makes you lazy that you dont feel like walking to metropolis. i mean you basically have only had 0 degree (feels like -14) weather or decent temperature with snow and rain coming down. i promise this weather wont last forever....

Katsu Tanda said...

Well seems like my life. Wake up, shower, eat, go to class, eat, work, eat, train, hw, sleep. everyday.

Working at the shop does bring excitement to the day as I don't know what type of repair will come in. Class isn't so bad, if it gets boring I stare at the young hot girls.

Hemme said...

are you trying to go insane, get outside! you dont need errands just take a walk. this weekend is looking miserable on the weather front, but soon we must head out to nowheresville and ride far.

Ben said...

there have been plenty of days lately where I can honestly say, you have not missed anything outside...

julie said...

man up! the weather isn't that bad. you've fallen into the wimp trap, where it just takes one day of not going outside to ruin the whole rest of the winter. you have to stick on it, stick with it, and force your butt out the door. i find it works best when done before you're completely awake, so your body's running away and your brain's wondering "how the hell did i let this happen?"

Kevin Wesley said...

you're lazy. don't fight it anymore. stay inside, curl up in a ball on your couch, and cry.