Friday, February 15, 2008

Jobs

Every morning, mid-afternoon, and evening:


Journalism Jobs
Craigslist
Careerbuilder
MediaBistro

And about a dozen others, including Dow-Jones, AP, Reuters, Crains, and NPO. A resume packet, with clips, writing samples, references, blood samples, cheek swab, sent out to every viable and even non-viable opportunity. Once in a while, a call, but usually an automatic response e-mail saying something to the effect of "Thanks for your interest in X position. We will contact you if your qualifications match our candidate needs."

But I mostly get nothing back. I send my personal employment and educational history out into the ether and I get a big empty echo in return.

I do need to do something soon. Living off of loan and grant money has long ago lost its allure.

If anyone (read: the 10 friends of mine who read this blog) have something for me to do, from stacking boxes, ditchdigging, to standing on a street corner with a clipboard and chasing down office-workers on their lunchbreak in order to have them sign a petition, please let me know. I beg of you.

2 comments:

julie said...

are you watching idealist.org???

Kevin Wesley said...

when i get out there, i will definitely someone to dig a ditch for me. and what the hell, i'll even pay you to fill it back up to. it'll be just like the great depression.