Saturday, February 2, 2008

Gordon Matta-Clark (Again)


Just got home from the just-opened Gordon Matta-Clark show at the MoCA. As I mentioned before in an earlier post, I am interested in the processes of deconstruction and GM-C's work is a strikingly salient example of these processes.

The show is so well-worth going – I cannot recommend it enough. The show focused on all aspects of Gordon's career, but it paid special attention to his work he did for the MoCP, titled "Circus or The Caribbean Orange," which was his attempt to tear apart a building annexed by the MoCP, by recreating circular themes through the ripping-apart of woodwork, drywall, and roofing. The show includes some of the ancillary documents to this artwork, including purchase orders, letters, and other ephemera. Of course, the MoCP has an interest in promoting this particular work, but they do the rest of Gordon's repertoire full service as well.

I also enjoyed a film he made in which he drove his beloved vintage truck to the Fresh Kills landfill in NY, crashed it into a bulldozer, and then tore it apart with said 'dozer. I think it was some kind of statement about extending the themes of deconstruction to other subject matters, but I think maybe that truck needed just a bit too much repair work to keep it roadworthy, and what better way to take a dying vehicle off the road than to destroy it in a flamboyant manner.

No comments: