The last race of the ChiCrossCup series; the last race of the year. Capping off a ho-hum race year, albeit one memorable for so many reasons besides places. Forced to miss a few races due to budgetary reasons, I was forced to re-evaluate things and I realized that I was better off racing for fun and without the pressure to win. Not saying I didn't want to win, because I did and always will, but I took my battles to the more realistic level: beat my teammates, pick off certain friends on other teams.
That much I did and I was happier for it. Lansing and today's race at Montrose Harbor were raced with a clearer head and no case of the nervous jitters - I was out to have fun and fight a smaller fight. Next year will be different, because I aim to come into the season with stronger legs and lungs, but for right now, this is all I can do.
I picked up Naz and Jen this morning and got a dozen donuts to hand-up. Got to the course, only about a mile away and quickly suited-up in the 10 degree weather (yes, it was that cold this morning) and got a chance to pre-ride the course. Any other day and the course would've been a fast screamer, but with a couple inches of snow and ice on the ground caution was the watchword. I found myself taking some corners rather wide and if I tried to bring the corner in closer, I would stumble and come close to crashing.
Spent the minutes left before the race in the car staying warm with the heater on full blast. 10 minutes to go, out warming back up and then it was to the line. A small speech from the organizer and then the whistle shriek brought me back to reality. All my talk of racing for fun went out the window and I was immediately back looking for some blood. Took a bit of time to get there, as a crash split the field and then my left shoe's velcro straps let me foot out just when I needed it to least. A small stop and I was back in.
Eight laps, most of which was spent by myself with about five visible riders in chase. Kevin Clark was up ahead and was not to be seen again until post-race. The rest of the team was behind, but visible, so they kept the pressure on. At the small sandramp, I took the angle wrong and nearly made myself infertile. Two laps left, my hands were numb, same with my feet and I was just trying not to crash. Never took a spill and I finished the race at 25(I think?)
Right after, got back into the car to warm up and then screamed my lungs out for friends and teammates, both old and new, in the following races.
Can't wait for 2009.
Kevin F
1 month ago
1 comment:
I'm thinking about racing Elites next year. I think I've progressed to the point where I can hang on (but still get my ass kicked). If I stay doing Cat3/B's i'll probably be winning. I'd much rather get stronger/faster than win a bunch of cat3 races.
Doubling up is probably the hardest thing to ever do. I've felt this season when I have doubled up, that I do poorly in the second race because I am racing empty. If I just concentrated on the elite race, I may have had a little chance.
But definitely next year we need to dual it out!
Post a Comment