Monday, December 15, 2008

A Job

This morning I woke up at about 5:50 AM, as I usually do, spent some time coughing up some nastiness as I've come down with a cold, made coffee, showered, and set about taking care of the other mundane tasks of morning.

Oh, and I got dressed in some finery, because I finally have a job in my area of study and interest. And the workplace is in the Loop. And I have benefits, including health insurance (which I've paid for out-of-pocket for months now). I'm working at a small not-for-profit developing media communications and content for a new website. Just enough programming/webwork that I can handle, and plenty of writing, analysis and research to keep me happy and comfortable. I'm excited and finally feel a sense of relief. I've spent the past year working temp jobs, living off of savings, and as of late, loan money. I'm already in debt a fair amount because of school - and I'm glad that I won't have to go further in debt because of a butter-soft job market for journalism/media specialists.

I spent most of the day reading over policy papers, taking care of administrative tasks, setting up my officespace, and going to Maggiano's for the annual holiday luncheon. Yes, I was rewarded with 2.75 hours of work with a family-style Italian meal and a couple glasses of wine.

Tomorrow, I have the feeling that wine will not be the beverage of choice with lunch. A shame, because I am quite a fan of a drink with my mid-day meal: the Europeans do it, why not us? A long time ago, I worked for a lawyer in a small office. Often, all us in the office would go to lunch – a three hour lunch – and would come back adequately toasted, so much that the rest of the day's work was worthless. Those days were rare, but they were still fun, nonetheless.

5 comments:

Julie said...

CONGRATS! that's such good news.

mama leanne said...

that is cool! I'm glad it's finally happened.
mama

Kevin Wesley said...

Reiterating what I said to you the other night...having a "real" job seems like a great thing, but gone are the days of lounging around for an hour in the morning, stretching a one-hour workout into three hours just because you can, and really just doing whatever suits you at the moment. I miss those days. All that being said, congrats. You work right down the street from me.

Jonathan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jonathan said...

Word!

We'll have to get together for lunch some time.