Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Love Letter

Adam Myerson Hodges says it so well. This almost made me shed a tear and listen to Avail.

I never saw someone put a full tank of gas in their car until I was a bike racer. I didn’t know people ever had that much money at once growing up; my mom never put more than $10 in at a time. My teammate in the ‘90’s, Kevin Monahan, had never seen anyone only withdraw $10 from an ATM machine until he saw me do it. You can’t even get tens from an ATM anymore, but when you had less than $20 in your account and you could get $1 burritos at Taco Bell, that’s how it was. And I lived like this for all of the ‘90’s, the same way punk bands toured in all of the ‘80’s, because I fucking love bike racing. This team is my band. This sport is my scene. I’m ready to come out with my guitar blazing and annihilate my audience that way Black Flag did in the ‘80’s, and in a way you guys who were just born in that decade might not fully understand. Search and Destroy.


and

We can make up what we lack in resources and experience with enthusiasm and commitment. If we do this right, we can’t be contained.


And this is why I love Half Acre Cycling. Hell yeah.

2 comments:

mama leanne said...

that's funny...I thought I always filled the tank.
mama

Anonymous said...

Nice sentiment. I believe that I have a similar one here: http://billguy.blogspot.com/search/label/Albert%20Camus