Thursday, November 13, 2008

Suited-up

I had an interview this afternoon for work at a NGO as a communications specialist, doing web content development, research, and editing. I had time to kill beforehand, so I ducked into a Borders Books and browsed through the magazines. Picked up a Maximum Rock 'n Roll, probably the first time in about five years, read a column about the death of Matt Odietus of the Candy Snatchers, and skimmed the reviews.

Funny thing, was that I was in my suit, tie and a sharp blue shirt. If my 17 year old self caught glimpse of someone like me, dressed professionally, with a punk 'zine in hand (stalwartish, irrelevant, or whatever), I would have either mockingly laughed, or thought about how awesome it was that someone could still be into the punk rock AND work a real job. Back then I wasn't much the churlish type, so I really want to believe that I'd fall into the latter.

I remember being mightily impressed that the singer of the Twerps, an amazing Cincinnati punk band, was a professor at NKU. And that the bassist of the Slobs, another equally great band, worked in finance. Being that I was going to shows in punkhouses, covered in sweat and beer, I was affirmed that I didn't have to discard my ideals if I wanted to do something with my life.

Not saying I'm doing much with what I've got, but I'm doing something.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the same way, Greg Graffin from Bad Religion always impressed me with his vocabulary and the fact that he teaches paleontology and life sciences at UCLA and the fact that he has a PHD from Cornell.

Kevin Wesley said...

Greg Graffin did use big words like dichotomy and obituary. He also wrote the worst Bad Religion songs. I know you wish you would've been the latter of your described characters Zach, but let's admit that we all would've snarled a little bit. Then we would've gone back to our comfy lives at our parents houses in middle class America. So who would be the real posers? Whoa!

Anonymous said...

I used the first line of this post to qualify you for a job in a meeting today. I did not mention any history of hooliganism...