Yesterday, I went out with good intentions to do the 33.8 mile ride to Promontory Point, which usually takes me 1:45-1:55 to do, depending on how lazy I feel and the wind.
I made it to Irving Park before I decided to pack it in. My hands started freezing up and I just felt uninspired. I think I'm finally sick of the bike, or maybe, just tired of training. The CX season is almost over and the next race on my calendar is the Schabobele road race in February. I've got tons of hours and miles in for the year and I'm just done with it. I have been running more, which I really, truly enjoy for some odd reason. I think it's the simplicity of the activity: it takes two minutes to get ready and I can get out the door and do my favorite three miles, with a stop for jumping jacks at Loyola Park. I oughta increase the mileage a bit, because I've been considering a duathlon or tri next year. Yes, seriously.
But I can't give up on the bike.
I woke up this morning and thought about getting out onto the road for a good jaunt to Northerly, but when I went outside to get the paper and felt the chill, I bagged on that idea. Set the trainer up for the first time since March, put on a Tour de France DVD to give me something to look at and loaded the iPod with Aus Rotten. Put in 1:15 and felt good. I guess I better get used to the trainer now – I'll be on that thing plenty for the next four months.
Epilogue:
Julie's already given me the hassle. I guess I should've explained: I need to get used to this cold weather business. In a week or two, I'll be out there plenty, bundled-up, and doing my thing per usual. I just need to ease into it, that's all. Last year, I was doing 65 milers to Wolf Lake with the temps. in the mid 20s. Soon, I'll be back to that business, but until then, I'm gonna be on that trainer. Sorry.
Kevin F
2 months ago
2 comments:
c'mon, HTFU! you're giving up already? it's not even December!
Pearl Izumi Amfib gloves and those instant heat toe warmers are a life saver for riding in the cold.
If you want to race in Louisville next week, I might be going. I can pick you up on the way.
Post a Comment