Friday, June 6, 2008

The Heat

Did a 50-ish ride with some guys from Campus last night. Rolled down onto Rt. 8 in Kentucky, up a huge hill (and then some) and felt like absolute garbage. I'll blame it squarely on the heat: here in Cincinnati, highs have been around 93 F° and near 100% humidity. Hellish conditions for sitting outside; misery on the bike, climbing a 15% grade at 12 MPH. I felt strong enough that I could crank at 300 watts on the flats, but any time I tried to snap things with a sprint, I started cramping up, even with plenty of water.

I did see 195 BPM on the heart-rate monitor while climbing up Uhl Road in Silver Grove, KY, so let's assume that I was going pretty hard. I certainly felt every single beat.

I took today off (and missed Mark Hooton's latest alleycat) because I didn't get back until just a little while ago from Athens. Tomorrow though, I'll probably repeat yesterday's route, but also take it into Ohio via the Anderson Ferry and through the Westside. 75-85 miles, and I'll be happy.

1 comment:

Katsu Tanda said...

way to post a comment on my site using allison's account (as yourself)

Anyway, I should be around.