Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My Latest Sins

Once again, all the recyclables piled-up in a box in the corner of the kitchen, next to the stove, went un-recycled and instead went into the dumpster with the rest of the trash.

My heart weighs heavy with guilt I toss in the trashbin all these aluminum cans and sheafs of last week's New York Times. Every. Single. Time.

If there's one thing that my previous locales had it better than Chicago, it was in recycling programs. Yeah, my tongue's right where it needs to be, in cheek. Cincinnati had green recycling bins since at least 1992 or so, same with Athens. When I first visited Chicago, I could hardly bring myself to toss something that could be recycled into the trash can – it was hardwired into my brain not to.

My parents being ex-hippies, dreamers, and reasonably environmentally concerned (despite the succession of Land Rovers), drilled it into me and my brothers' heads that we were to minimize our impact on the environment by seeing to it that we separate our waste from what could be reused. Imagine their disappointment if they were to see what sins I did commit today.

I swear I'm going to repent, I swear that I'll be a better man. I'll get those milk jugs, soy milk cartons, and tin cans right where they belong: in a blue bin, no matter the inconvenience or trouble.

To all my friends and family – I've come back out of the dark and into the light. Please receive me with open arms and tears of love.

1 comment:

Ben VC said...

Zach: You don't want to recycle badly enough. You can actually bring your recyclables to a special drop-off location. There are 15 throughout the city. The closest one to you is at 6441 N. Ravenswood. Here is the complete list:

http://www.chicagorecycling.org/other/dropbox.10.06.pdf

Now you just need to haul your stuff there. You can thank me later.