Thursday, December 3, 2009

Ohio Valley State Championships at John Bryan State Park

Next time, it would behoove me to pay attention and get to the starting grid on time to get my call-up. As it were, I started at the very back of a 45 racer field and worked my way up to a solid 20th.

Yeah, I bet I could've done better if I was at the front, but I'm not going to dwell on that. It's not like I would have earned 8th or golly, even won, the damn thing.

The highlights for me:

Only having three of the masters riders who started 15 seconds after us pass me. Those guys are fast and if I can keep ahead of them, I'm doing something right.

Hanging out with Katsu and letting him fixed my poor, rickety 'cross bike that's seen too little maintenance in a long and hard racing season.

Occasionally catching glimpses of Mike Chewning as he battled for a third place podium spot and by virtue of only losing to non-Ohioans, is now the Ohio State Cat. 3 CX Champion. Holler.

Really pushing things hard in the fourth of five laps to drop a few strong guys. I finished my race alone with only masters racers immediately ahead and behind.

Realizing that Chicago has an amazing 'cross series and group of fans. Ohio, I love you more than anything, but you've gotta step it up with the screaming, shouting, and cowbell. I think this is one of the first races I've done where I wasn't half deaf afterward.

That said, racing in Ohio is fantastic and I'm happy to say I got a fair amount of it in this year.

No comments: