Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Montrose

Katsu warned me two weeks ago that I should aquaseal the rear Vredestein Campo clincher that I've been rolling on since last season because the sidewalls were looking rough and some cord was fuzzing out. I just wanted to finish the season on the tire, as I've been too lazy and busy to do the regluing job on the Challenge Fango/Mavic SSC SL rear wheel that I've had sitting around my place. I did a bang-up job on the front, but when it came time to do the rear, I got more glue on my hands than I think was left between the tire and the rim, so as such, I don't trust it to race on.

I should've just taken Katsu's advice, because I ripped that tire open on the second lap of the final ChiCrossCup race at Montrose Harbor -- the Illinois State Championship. I noticed it was flat after the sandpit section and I started running with the bike to salvage my dignity and finish the race, even if I came in dead last. Teammate Al Thom came by and yelled for me to take his bike, as he was shot from pulling in a convincing second place in the earlier Masters 50+ race. So, I took his bike, a beautiful Independent Fabrications with Easton deep section carbon tubulars and got to racing, despite people heckling me saying "Hey! That's an illegaaaaaaaaaal bike change!"

The thing was, was that I use Shimano pedals, Al uses Eggbeaters. Shimano cleats don't clip into Eggbeaters. Eggbeaters have no surface area to speak of. Al's also 2-3 inches shorter than I am.

So there I was, riding a bike that didn't fit me with pedals I couldn't clip into nor stand on. My riding style has me out of the saddle to accelerate out of every corner -- on Al's bike, it was sit and spin. Which I did to come in at about 35thish place, but because I took an illegal bike change and an official noticed, I was marked DNF. Huge thanks to Al for saving my race. Of course, I would've been in the 20's or better were it not for my mechanical, but see, I've got great excuses.

I realized later that I could've taken the rear wheel out of his bike and put it in mine. 9-speed Shimano clusters work with 10-speed Campagnolo, or well enough to finish the race. No matter, I was glad to have just finished the race strong.

Afterward, I enjoyed the company of my team and friends and heckled the hell out of the hundreds of other racers in the other categories.



I'm on the right, cheering Al's son on.

I'm gonna miss you, cyclocross.

No comments: