Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Upcoming Slog

'Cross season is nearly halfway over. I've got seven races in the legs and about ten more left to do. It's exciting stuff and for the first time since '05, I've really had the ability and resources to dedicate to the discipline. More so now than back then, as I don't have to work nights in a restaurant while going to school full time.

The years between were either passed-up because of the demands of graduate school or financial issues. Working part-time and without steady income really kills any discretionary spending such as amateur bike racing. 2006 was dedicated to school, 2007 I was too poor and I cracked a rib, and 2008 I was really poor. Those three years in between I just rode lots and learned to love fast group rides with friends more than racing, at least with regards to the road. You can't really casually simulate a 'cross race, but you can always pretend you're on a last-ditch heartattack breakaway in Paris-Roubaix as you streak toward the county line.

I suppose I should figure out what the point of this post is. I think I went into it thinking about base miles and cold misty silent mornings. Or maybe it was a reminisce about some races long ago that I entered, did well in, and in which earned just a pair of socks or ill-fitting hat.

I'm already thinking ahead to spring with lots of travel to Indiana, Ohio and Wisconsin for hilly road stuff. I'm also planning the purchase of modern mountain bike to contend the WORS series on. The racing emphasis is on the dirt these days, but I still love the road -- only endurance circuit stuff, though. More Double Loops, too.

No comments: