
Setting up a 'cross race is hard work. Setting up a 'cross race in the pouring rain with soaking wet feet, frozen hands, and an empty stomach is even harder.
But it's fun and totally worth the reward of seeing 400 racers tear around on the track that you had a hand in assembling and then coming up to you afterward to give thanks for the good times. I deserve little credit -- I showed up, staked the lines, and rolled out tape -- but others worked much harder, chief among them Tobie from North Central Cyclery, Chris Jensen and Coach Bob Meinig.
After we set the course up on Saturday night, we rolled over to Pagliai's Pizza, which was staffed only by the cook and a server/delivery driver. I walked in to hear a customer berate the cook for taking too long to get his food to his family. We didn't wait as long -- the fact we offered the cook some of our beers probably spurred our pizza along.
Josh's parents let us crash and we all marveled at Josh's dad's collection of war memorabilia. Asleep by 11, up at 6, we were back out on the race course to finish off taping the back stretch and assemble the starting grid.
At 11, it was my time to race. Guaranteeing myself a bad start on the 2.1 mile course, the maximum allowed under USAC rules, I lined up on the left side of the grid where I would be pinched in the first hard left corner 100 feet from the line. And yes, I got stuck behind the pack and then was stuck behind a group of guys who were afraid to pass teammate Kevin Clark, who was dragging 30 feet of course tape from his rear wheel.
After Kevin pulled over, me, Paolo, Ernie from Pony Shop, and a few other guys all were lumped together. I passed Paolo on the back half of the course with three to go and eventually it was just me, trying to bridge up to Ernie. I tried making my move in the curvy section just before the start/finish, which was stupid. It was too late at that point, so I came in solo -- 25/51. Midpack hero.
This weekend has me and the crew in Cincinnati for three days of hardcore UCI racing. My mom's promised pizza.
No comments:
Post a Comment