Because my leg felt decent enough, despite some serious brutality, I rode to the team races on Friday. I was planning on just working a corner and eating cake, but I decided at the last second to jump in. I couldn't bend my leg more than 45 degrees without it feeling tight, but it didn't hurt to pedal easy. My thinking was that I would jump in, see how I felt, and get my mass-finish -- 11 or 12 I need to upgrade to 3, where I'm sure I'll live out my days.
At the start, I sprinted off the line as if I were in a CX race and after the first lap as a leader, I settled in to the front of the pack. The legs felt decent and I was putting in good power into the wind. Third lap in, some riders touched wheels in the back and someone went down -- I pulled off to see if it was one of my guys and I moved to the back of the group, which is right at the same time that the front riders, all of which were killing the races earlier in the week, took off to form the break that would finish the race. The pack was smaller because most riders were scheduled to do the Burnham Supercrit the next day in Beloit.
I spent the rest of the time riding hard and easy with teammates and friends contesting sprints and working on my cornering. Afterward, we all indulged in some major sweetness and Amy gave me a lift home because Allison hadn't yet returned from Cincinnati. Once home, my left leg started stiffening up and I knew I'd made something of a mistake. I was registered to race the Burnham race in the 3/4 and all I wanted to do was survive, which if I wanted to do, I wouldn't have raced hard the night before.
Saturday morning, I could barely walk. I did some stretches and walked around in the apartment for a bit before Chris came over to pick me, Joe and Adam up. I was half-thinking I'd skip racing and spin easy on the trainer, but at race time, I was up in the front of the line. I spent a long time warming up in the cold and wind, so by the time I had to race with some heart, I had some heat in my legs.
The first two laps were easy -- one rider went off the front and no one chased him down, letting him dangle out there to tire out. At the start of the third lap, I went off on a flyer with another racer and after he dropped back after 1/2 a lap, I was out there by myself, hurting myself and looking brave and foolish. Joe tried to bring me back in, but I was too spent and cramped-up to do anything so we creeped back in to the car and loaded up for home. Sorry about that.
Yesterday, I felt like trash. Any recovery I'd made since I'd hurt myself was lost in racing two days. I got on the trainer and spun for 1/2 hour and then went to the Lincoln Park Conservatory with Allison, walking all over the park and the Nature Museum for most of the afternoon.
Before I went to bed last night, I took some ibuprofen to try to relieve any swelling or pain. This morning, the leg was hurting even worse. I'm registered for Hillsboro-Roubaix this weekend and if things don't improve, I ain't going. Seeing as how I dropped $30+ on that race, let's hope they do.
Kevin F
1 month ago
4 comments:
get well duder. i cant conquer the cycling world without you.
zach - didja get xrays yet?
and I have your campy parts in a bag. email me your mailing address and they are yours!
heal up, cowboy
couldn't find your email address, so I'm going to leave this message here- hope that's okay!
Hello!
My name is Emily Schleier and I'm the Assistant Editor for a new media start-up publication titled The Printed Blog. You can download our latest issues at www.theprintedblog.com.
The Printed Blog is exactly that – a printed news publication with 100% of its content pulled from blogs and other user generated content. We are a new model of print publication based out of Chicago that has taken on the challenge of reviving the newspaper industry and turning in to a more community-based, interactive and user-generated medium.
There are many advantages to our approach at forming a new type of newspaper. First and foremost, all of our content is taken from the internet and then put through an editorial process so that we're sure our readers are only getting the best of the best when it comes to blogs, photos, music, events, etc.
With this being said, we think that your blog falls under the "best of the best" category and would feel extremely privileged if we were able to take articles from it to include in our publication. High profile blogs such as, Mashable, Daily Kos, The Bloggess, American Express and Bastard Life are all on The Printed Blog team!
All of the content that we use from the web is also completely accredited to the author and blog that it originated from, so this would be a great way to gain some exposure and bring traffic to your site.
The Printed Blog has been the point of discussion amongst many journalists and media representatives from all around the WORLD. We have been featured in many of the world's leading publications such as The New York Times, The Chicago Tribune, Business Week, Wired magazine, as well as publications in France, Spain, Brazil, Egypt and many more!
We are currently working on our tenth issue that is set to be distributed in San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York and Chicago on Thursday, April 9th.
We'd love to add you to our list of blogs to pull content from in hopes to print one of your posts in an upcoming issue. Do we have your permission? We would also like to have the option of printing the images that accompany your blog posts- do you have the rights to these images? I look forward to hearing back from you and please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions. You can follow our progress on Facebook, MySpace and Twitter!
All the best,
Emily Schleier
Assistant Editor
The Printed Blog
eschleier@theprintedblog.com
I hope your leg is on the mend, but you have to admit that it's slightly comical how you injured it. Quite the Zachary Thomas injury.
Thanks for the fine birthday.
Post a Comment