Tuesday, September 30, 2008

With that, it's autumn

Fed up with our respective performances at Jackson Park, Naz and I have been going out bright and early during the week for interval efforts and sprints out on Northerly Island. I love early morning riding – with the rise of the sun, I'm getting a workout in and setting a good tone for the rest of the day. I beat the heat during the summer and a crowded LFP, which during the height of the season, fills up full by 8:30 AM.

This morning, I was out on the bike by 6:55 with Naz, passing Mike as he was coming back in after his workout, and the sun was just starting to peek above the horizon on Lake Michigan. And for the first time since about April, I was cold. Kneewarmers and armwarmers were on, but I felt chilly. And it felt great. I love this time of the year, when the air is crisper and smells of fallen leaves and smoke. Well, here in Chicago it smells of rancid chocolate, hot dogs and smog, but elsewhere, it smells of a sweet tang as people burn their leaves. And just two weeks ago it was 90 and humid – now I'm wearing a sweater, feeling a bit of unease as I realize that snow and cold is only a few short months away.

Until then, I'm out riding and trying to bring together some late season fitness so I can finish a 'cross race or two somewhere in the top 10.

No comments: