Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Excitement is my Raison d'Etre

For the past week and a half, and for the remainder of this week, Allison's been in Chester Hill, Ohio, taking part in the annual artists' residency. Communication with her has been hit-and-miss – I know the area reasonably well, having gone to school in Athens which is only 20 miles away, and having most of the family on my mother's side 20 miles from there, and I'm well aware that cell-phone reception is sometimes iffy and the Internet in some small municipalities is most often accessed by dial-up.

We've still managed to communicate, though. The occasional text message gets through, or a phone call comes in. But as each day wears on, I get looser, freer, and itching to tear Chicago down.

Here is a typical day for me:

6:00 AM: Wake-up, put the coffee on, get the paper, eat some oatmeal.
7:00 AM: Ride for 1.5-2 hours, shower, work for an hour
10:30 AM: Eat lunch
11:00 AM: Work
2:00 PM: Eat a snack of almonds, yogurt, or other exciting and spicy food
3:00 PM: Go to my job at After School Matters
8:00 PM: Come home, eat dinner
9:30 PM: Fall asleep on the couch while watching PBS

As is plain to see, my daily agenda is chock-full of exciting things. And as each day goes by that Allison is away, the reigns of control that were tight around my neck have slipped and loosened. A few days ago, I was at Trader Joe's and I saw something that Allison's forbidden from the household in the refrigerated section. I looked around to make sure that no one I knew was around and I snatched my hand out and loaded the contraband into my cart. As I finished my shopping and made it out the door with my two bags, I knew at once that my mission was a success. Inside one of the bags was a dozen eggs, which for some of you is a daily staple. But in my household, eggs are a banned commodity, only because Allison is allergic to them, and I must suffer constantly from a desire for eggy foods.

With her away, I am free to do what I what and I've really let loose. Going to bed at 9:30 at night and eating eggs – that's what freedom really is!

2 comments:

Kevin Wesley said...

now we can go see the Dark Knight because we know here despicable hatred for super heroes. she'll never know. we can eat popcorn lathered in artificial butter juice stuff and smoke cigarettes as we break cameras. sounds like fun.

Ben VC said...

Dude. Let's party. Put the training on hold and pollute your body for a night. Or, let's do some cyclocross training on Saturday.