Thursday, March 3, 2011

Spring is the Time for Whining

Everything's changing, but nothing's changed. This winter put in a real digger on me as it was just cold out, all the time. I fancy myself as some kind of real tough nugget so I'm pretty tolerant of bad weather. I love the rain, I love wind, and I love rainy, windy days. I hate the snow, though. I'll gladly ride or walk around in gale force winds and a deluge, but if there's snow on the ground, I just want to sit inside and mope.

There was a lot of moping this winter. I've been a big baby about riding outside, ever since I almost ended up taking a dunk in Lake Michigan on a 10 degree day last year.

So there's that.

Things are starting to turn, though. The calendar finally pushed on toward the third month and with that, I think I can hear birds chirping in the morning and when I leave work, I can catch the sun as it's setting.

I've been too busy to enjoy all that, or nearly so. Finishing up the last edits on my graduate thesis will do that. I successfully defended my body of research back at the beginning of February and I'm on the home stretch. Most nights the past month I've come home after sitting in front of a computer all day to sit in front of my aging G5 for an hour or two as I reconcile my advisors' marks with the mess I've spent the past two-plus years bashing out. I can't wait to put that thing to bed.

Allison and I are going to San Francisco March 23 through the 29. We're staying across the street from Naz and Jen's pad. It'll be a good trip -- we're going to eat like pigs and enjoy decent weather. Even if it's rainy the entire time, it'll likely be better than what's going on in the Midwest.

Other notes:

I'm riding better now than I ever have before but I don't care much about racing. The economics of racing is ridiculous. Even for the cheap races, it's still at least a $60 day with registration fees, food, gas, etc. Lately I've been all about going on hard three hours muffin rides with my friends. I may change my mind by the time CX rolls around -- probably will. Still, I have better things to spend my money on than racing.

Someday I'll move this over to Wordpress. Someday.

1 comment:

Judi said...

i am in total agreement about the 1)racing fees. 2) the cold.

i am reg'd for mohican only beacuse of the writers at DC who got me a free entry. im not doing any road races either. come cx season, i'll see ya at UCI3 and thats about it. i hope to race with the wheelers and dealers at CX Vegas tho.

i miss ya! i hope you come home for easter and we can go MTBing or something.

have a blast in SF. where exactly are you guys staying? i love SF. you are my 3rd friend to get there this month too. so jealous. LMK if you need a shop to get hooked up with bikes.