Sunday, May 23, 2010

Ohio.





Ohio.

Everything's green and verdant in Ohio. The southeastern and southwestern corners of the state are where my heart lays to rest. It's familiar territory and familial -- the rolling hills and fields of the farm is my heritage.

I spent five days in Ohio visiting my grandparents who are along in years along with my brothers and some friends. I cleaned out gutters, worked in the yard, got some superlative riding squeezed in. This was my birthday gift to myself. It wiped me out, though. 85 degrees and thick air. It was a day of hard steep sharp climbs, up-and-down with little rhythm. 30 minutes in, I was covered in hives from some sort of allergic reaction. I slogged through, scratching the entire time. Special thanks to Pepsi Co. for the salvation in form of a soda at the Bartlett Exxon. Every day was a variation of the Deming Loop -- I did explore the Veto Lake wilderness area on Sunday before a breakfast at my aunt's. Thanks Cindy for the eggs.

God bless the Midwest.

No comments: